Success in never a coincidence, they say. Unlike most forms of therapy that seek to understand the reasons why we feel bad or why something is not working for us, NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) focuses on what works. NLP is a model of success and its developers have studied extensively what the most important factors of success are, regardless of how you define success.
After studying countless studies and models, I have come to realize that success in practically anything in life can be crystallized on six elements. The six elements of success are, in fact, perhaps best understood by questions that you can ask yourself:
1. Where are you?
- How happy and successful are you right now? What kind of thinking and what kinds of actions have taken you to where you are at the moment?
- What are your assets and liabilities? Make a list of them and take a good inventory of your current state.
- From now on, rather than thinking how far you still have to go to reach your goals, enjoy the distance you have already travelled.
- What is the worthy goal that you want to achieve? How do you know when you have achieved what you want?
“If you do not know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
3. Why do you want it?
- Do you have a genuine motivation to work on your goal? Is the goal coming from within you or is it, in fact, set by an outside authority? Does your journey toward your goal enhance your level of happiness?
”The most successful people are those people who truly ‘believe’ in what they do. Not that they just say they do. They have a passion for what they do.” – Richard Bandler & John La Valle
4. What stops/has stopped you from reaching your goal?
- What are your limiting beliefs? Do you have all the necessary resources to reach your goal?
”Beliefs shape the way we feel, think, and act.” – Mandy Evans
5. How do you reach your goal?
- What is your strategy and, above all, what kind of action and behavior is required from you to reach your success?
- What is your first step toward your desired outcome? When will you take it?
- Take action.
“Without action there’s no possibility of success.” -Richard Bandler & Garner Thomson
6. How are you doing?
- Remember: there are no failures along the way, only feedback. If one way of acting is not getting you the results you want, act differently.
- Keep refining your actions until you get what you want.
“Doing the same things in the same way will only get you the same results. If you want different results, something has to change.” – Hannu Pirilä
The formula for success is, after all, quite simple, and it can be executed by anyone. Some of us have found the formula and its elements by themselves. For most of us, however, figuring out the things listed above, can be tricky (if this wasn’t so, most of the people in the world would define themselves as being successful).
NLP based Success Coaching helps the client especially with these six elements. It contains, however, also a lot more when needed. We all define by ourselves what success means to us. The purpose of Success Coaching is to not only help the client to define that, but also to provide them with assistance and insights to figure out how to achieve the success they want – and to enjoy their journey.
”When you make great, big goals – whether you get to them or not – the things that happen along the way are what makes life wonderful.” - Richard Bandler